2014 - Current

In 2014, Katerina Dracopoulos, Justine Ebzery, Nathan Hildebrandt, Ryan Loveday and Paul Sekava were promoted to Associate Directors, while fellow Associate, hayley Crofts, was promoted to Senior Associate.

2008 - 2014

In 2012, Nathan Hildebrandt and Ryan Loveday were promoted as Associates in the Brisbane office, running teams ‘Maroon’ and ‘Brown’. Later, Nathan’s role shifted to BIM Manager | Associate.

In early 2013 the Northern Rivers office merged with the Brisbane office whilst still maintaining a strong presence in the Tweed and Gold Coast region.

In 2014, John Ward was promoted as a Director in the Sydney office, while fellow Sydney staff member, Isabelle Pfaeffli, was promoted to an Associate role.

2000 — 2008

In 2000, the practice merged with the small Sydney Office of Carthey Project Strategies to form Fulton Trotter & Partners, called Fulton Trotter Carthey in Sydney. This followed a very successful working relationship through the late 1990s on Queensland Health projects and winning work in the joint venture in New South Wales. Roger and Jane Carthey had run Carthey Project Strategies since 1995, working mainly as Health Planners. The practice continued to develop new skills and work systems.

In 2002, Roger and Jane decided to pursue other more specialised goals in architecture and left in June 2002, leaving the four Directors running three interdependent and vital offices in Brisbane, Tweed Heads and Sydney.

Throughout this period, the practice continued to develop its specialist expertise in health, aged care, educational and local government buildings.

Mark Trotter worked three days a week in Sydney until 2008, working on many school projects with a growing Sydney staff managed by Greg Isaac.

Paul Trotter took over the western Queensland work from Mark and Robert and built upon our reputation for quality civic projects in the region, extending the work to Mount Isa and North Queensland – working closely with associates John Hay and Paul Sekava, who joined Fulton Trotter in 1992 and 1996.

Andrew Armstrong and Robert Wesener continued to build our northern rivers and Gold Coast presence with the valued assistance of associates Bruce Hawley and Greg Mulheran, who joined the practice in 1987 and 1994 respectively.

In 2004, Frank Moss retired as a Partner, remaining with the Practice as a senior Architect and valued mentor to the architectural staff. He exceeded Jack’s record of 50 years in 2008.

In July 2005, Greg Isaac who had been with the practice for more than 20 years was invited to become a Director of the practice managing the Sydney Office.

John Ward, Hayley Crofts and Wendy Hay were promoted to Associates in 2007 to assist in the leadership of our thriving 50+ staff.

Buildings of note: Banora Point Community Centre, Dogwood Crossing Visitors Centre – Miles, Feros Care, Wongaburra Aged Care Facility, Miles Hospital, Dalby Hospital, Hinkler Hall of Aviation, Stella Gardens – Manly, Nowlanvil Aged Care Facility, Anam Cara, Southern Cross University, Chinchilla Aquatic Centre, Kingscliff Library.

1997 — 2000

John (Jack) Gilmour retired from the practice in the middle of 1997 and remained a regular visitor for some years. Jack, in his retiring year, celebrated 50 years with the office. The name was changed again to Fulton Trotter Moss in 1997.

Stephen Trotter, and Ian Fulton retired in June 1999.

This period saw two important projects enter the office. Successful completion of Mt St Patrick College in Murwillumbah enabled the practice to re-establish itself as a quality design firm for education facilities, leading to significant commissions in both New South Wales and Queensland in the coming years.
Appointment for, and completion of, the Emerald, Barcaldine and Clermont Hospital Redevelopments also re-established our health design credentials which also lead onto significant success in this area. It also allowed us to reduce our work the club design sector which did not fit our new direction.

In 1998 we commenced practice in Sydney in a joint venture with Carthey Project Strategies, as Fulton Trotter Carthey, being appointed for health and school projects.

Greg Isaac who had worked in the Brisbane office since 1987 moved to Sydney to represent our firm in the joint venture. Mark Trotter was the partner in charge of this new venture.
Rob Wesener moved back to the Tweed Office in late 1999.

Buildings of note: Emerald, Barcaldine and Clermont Hospitals, Chinchilla Cultural Centre, Mount St Patricks College, Tweed Heads Library, Ballina.

1980 — 1997

With Charles Fulton and Graham Boys’ retirement in 1980, the practice changed names and continued to prosper throughout Queensland and northern New South Wales. Offices in Rockhampton came and went with Associates Paul Cruice and Neil Roberts. (81-87) Both associates left the office to set up their own regional practices.

Steve Trotter’s second son Mark established and successfully managed the Tweed Heads Office of Fulton Gilmour Trotter Moss from 1982 to 1996. With Steve’s support, Mark grew the Tweed Office to a sizeable practice of 16 staff and the late 80s and early 90s work was recognised for its quality in both the press and awards processes.

The firm had shrunk from 30+ staff to just 12in late 1992 due to “the recession we had to have”. Mark became Managing Partner in 1994 after a major strategic review of the office brought in by difficult times in the 1992 recession.

The practice slowly regathered strength through 92-95 with club and Department of Housing work. We ran a western service with visiting offices in Chinchilla, Roma and Charleville from 92-98 undertaking numerous projects throughout the west and reinforcing our historical ties to the region. Mark Trotter & John Gilmour started that tour and Robert Wesener replaced John Gilmour in 1985.

Additions to the partnership were made in 1995, including Paul Trotter, Robert Wesener and Andrew Armstrong. Andrew Armstrong had moved from the Brisbane office as a student in 1991 and has since worked in the Tweed office. Andrew brought to the office enthusiasm for his craft, great design skills and drive to keep our Tweed Office healthy as Mark returned to Brisbane to manage the overall practice.

Robert Wesener started in our Tweed Office on contract for two weeks and has been with us ever since. Rob’s talents are many, including design, documentation and management of fast track projects and his attention to detail. Robert helped revitalise the Brisbane office until moving back to Tweed in 1999.

Paul Trotter, Stephen Trotter’s third son, started with the practice in 1983 as a junior, coming and going over the years with work in a number of local and overseas practices. Paul had successes including awards for commercial and multiple housing work.
Buildings of note: Tweed Heads Police and Court House, Club Banora, Bush Childrens’, South Tweed Bowls Club, Mackley Residence, Baroona Homestead, Harrington Residence, Southport Business Park, Makita, Caboolture RSL, Geebung-Zilmere RSL, Pier Avenue Housing, Blackall Cultural Centre, Power Tolls offices.

1962 — 1980

John Gilmour and Stephen Trotter became Associates of the firm and were offered partnership in 1962. Graham Boys, a Toowoomba architect and pre-war friend and employee of Job & Collin, was also admitted to the partnership in 1962.

The Firm’s practice expanded from domestic architecture to Service and Sporting Club projects, Schools, Hospitals, Motels, Commercial and Industrial works and to Aged Care Development.

Frank Moss and Ian Fulton joined the practice in the late 1950’s having received some student training in other architectural practices. They became partners in 1966.

Steve enjoyed architectural success and several awards, including the Sisalkaft Travelling Scholarship in 1964. As a result “Cities in the Sun” was published, a study of architectural responses to tropical conditions around the world. This work in turn influenced the practice’s design ethic focusing on climatically sensitive architecture. He also won awards for the Student Union Complex at the Queensland University and awards for successful club works.

Regrettably, Jim Collin suffered a number of health problems relatively early in his years, which for such an active person was sad. Jim’s many skills extended to sketching, and in his later life he involved himself in painting with characteristic determination. Jim passed away and was sadly missed.
The 60’s and 70’s were busy and the variety of projects helped the practice to weather the times of boom and recession better than most.

Buildings of note: Mather Residence, Tower Mill Motel, International House, Sebel House, TTSC, ERA Library, Ipswich Grammar School, Bald Hills TAFE, Schonell Theatre.

1952 — 1962

The firm was renamed Fulton & Collin when Aubrey Job and Bob Froud left the firm to commence their own practice of Job & Froud in the 1950s.

1946 — 1952

Our practice took its recognised shape immediately after World War II when in 1946 Charlie Fulton joined Jim Collin and Aubrey Job to form a partnership with Bob Froud as their one and only, but chief draftsman.
The post-war Architectural practice began in the back of the Albert Hall, now demolished to make way for the Suncorp Building on Albert and Turbot Streets. Their earliest works were mainly in the domestic sector and together they produced some fine houses in Indooroopilly and several other western suburbs of Brisbane.

Charles brought his hospital contacts at Kingaroy, Charleville, Blackall, Barcaldine and Clermont to the new partnership and these formed the base for our firm’s ongoing practice in western areas.

John Gilmour joined the fledgling practice on 31st March 1947 as its first junior and was joined by Stephen Trotter during his third year of architectural study in 1951. Both completed the part time Diploma of Architecture (UQ) course through the QIT School of Architecture. This School was subsequently named “The Charles Fulton School of Architecture” in recognition of Charlie’s establishment of the school and his role as Principal for the first thirty-nine years. The School dropped that name when it merged with the School of Engineering in 2000.

The firm of Fulton Job Collin prospered and employed some of the best students from QIT. Many of Brisbane’s leading Architects sought the Firm as a training ground for their own sons who in turn, became leading architects in the State. Without exception they enjoyed their training years and have left many happy memories among their contemporaries.